India to be the World Champions ?
India to be the World Champions ? Cricket World Cup is few days away and India stands to be a strong contender for lifting the World Cup Trophy. England, though seems to be favourite, the Virat Kohli led Indian team holds a good track record in England over the last five years. India has also won the more ODI matches than any other country since the World Cup 2015 followed closely by England. However before we analyse why India may win the World Cup again, we will try to analyse the performance of India in last big ICC tournament.
In 2017, Indian Cricket team participated in the ICC Champions Trophy which was also held in England. The defending champion India and the favourites of the tournament reached the finals comfortably where it was against Pakistan. In the finals, Pakistan defeated India by 180 runs, the biggest margin of victory in the final of an ICC ODI tournament. Now let us analyse the strengths and weakness of the Indian team in the tournament.
- India had one of the best international top order in the tournament. The combination of Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan and Virat Kohli outshined every top order combination.
- The bowling pair of Jaspreet Bumrah and Bhuvneshwar Yadav were capable of dismantling any batting order.
- The fielding aided by the wicket keeping of M S Dhoni was one of the biggest strength of the team.
- Middle order batsman had been the weakest point for India in the Champions trophy. Excessively relying on the top order and failure of middle order did not turn out to be positive when chasing targets above 300+.
- Lack of extra bowler or the middle over bowler did hurt the team in couple of cases.
- Indian team always lacked a better all rounder and this was also visible in the Champions Trophy of 2017.
Why India may win the World Cup ?
Strong Batting Order
India has one of the strongest batting line up. The opening duo of Rohit Sharma and Shikar Dhawan is the only opening pair to be in top 10 ICC ODI batting ranking. The batting is then followed by the World No 1 batsman, Virat Kohli who has proved to be the batsman who can single handedly win matches for India. The all-rounders like Ravinder Jadeja and Hardik Pandya gives strength to the batting middle order. The presence of M S Dhoni in the team adds experience to the team. He is seen as a chief architect of point-blank domination of India. Infact he is the best brain in the world cricket.
Virat Kohli, the greatest batsman in the world cricket at present is the backbone of the Indian team. The passionate skipper is well disciplined and his hard work and consistency had earned him respect that very less sportsperson had earned. One of his ability as a batsman is his ability to soak in pressure and bat through. He is the fastest, quickest and the youngest batsman to reach 10000 runs in ODI international. He leads the team from front with passion and determination. Aided by the experience of MS Dhoni, Virat turns out to be the most powerful leader in the world cricket at present.
Strong Bowling Attack
Indian pace attack is one of the finest in the world at present. The attack is lead by World No 1 ODI bowler Jasprit Bumrah combined with the experience of Bhuvaneswar Kumar and Mohammad Shami. The spin twins of Ravindra Jadeja and Kedar Jadav adds strength to the bowling attack of Indian team. Thus, this combination makes up one of the formidable bowling attack of the world.
On 14th of June 2019, the champion of the limited over cricket will be crowned. England, the host nation may be the favourites owing to their recent performances and the local advantage. However, the World No 2 team India, with loads of experience and determination may conquer the limited over cricketing world once again. However it is up to time to decide: India to be the World Champions ?
Topic: India to be the World Champions ?