Dr. Shashi Tharoor, MP, Thiruvananthapuram : Achievements
Member of Parliament
Shashi Tharoor Achievements as a MP since 2009
- The Kazhakkoottam – Karode NH BYPASS : The project was lying dormant for 40 years before Shashi Tharoor took it up in 2009 and successfully revived it. The 4 lane bypass which passes through 6 out of the constituency’s 7 segments, connects the city to Tamil Nadu.
- Tharoor was appointed as Director of the Board of VISL [Vizhinjam International Seaport Limited] in 2011 by the UDF government [reappointed in 2014 by the LDF] and has been key to the development and actualisation of the project. He was actively involved in getting the Environment Clearance from the Ministry of Environment and Forests , securing funds for the project from the Government of India , and persuading Adani Ports to bid for the project after several inadequate bids.
- During his tenure as a MP, Shashi Tharoor has succeeded in bringing a record 14 new trains to Thiruvananthapuram.
- Tharoor has convinced three world class lifestyle developers to open outlets in Thiruvananthapuram.The Mall of Travancore, which already attracts huge crowds, Lulu Mall which will open in 2019 and the Taurus Downtown Complex in Technopark which will consist of office spaces, apartments, retail outlets, restraunts and hotels is expected to commence construction soon.The Sports Hub, Trivandrum Run and the Walk of Health have all enjoyed Tharoor’s support.
- He also initiated the Mathrubhumi Literature Festival which has attracted thousands of attendees and has established itself as a permanent fixture in the state’s cultural calendar.
- Tharoor convinced tech giant Oracle to open an office in Technopark in 2011 . In 2018, Tharoor almost singlehandedly persuaded Nissan Motor Co.Ltd to set up an innovation hub, which will be shared by the Renault-Nissan-Mitsibushi alliance, at Technopark.
- Expansion of the Sree Chitra Thirunal For Medical Science and Technology [ SCTIMST]. SCTIMST is one of the premier autonomous medical research facilities in Thiruvananthapuram and Dr.Tharoor has always taken keen interest in its functioning, having also served as a member of the Institute Body during his first term. As the Institute struggled to arrange funds for its existing commitments and expansion plans, Tharoor stepped in to help, holding talks with the Minister of Science and Technology which lead to the Central Government Providing 230 crores to the institute.
- Vizhinjam Lighthouse Modernization
Identifying the Vizhinjam Lighthouse’s potential as a tourist destination, Tharoor obtained 2 crores from the Shipping Ministry for its renovation and beautification.
- Thiruvananthapuram was not included in the 1st round list for the Centre’s Smart City Project.However, Tharoor intervened and convinced the Urban Development Ministry to include all state capitals. As a result , Thiruvananthapuram has been added to the list.
- PMSAGY – Village Adoption Scheme
The Kottukal Panchayat was selected and has benefited with BSNL providing free wifi, health camps being organised in the panchayats, and electrification of the houses.
- Malayalam Option in Railway Examination
When Malayalam was excluded from the list of languages in which the Railway Examination was offered, Tharoor intervened and through his meetings with the Railways Minister , managed to get Malayalam reinstated.
- When Cyclone Ockhi ravaged parts of Thiruvananthapuram’s coast, Tharoor was actively involved with the relief efforts.He was with the families of the fisherfolk, visiting every single affected village and working tirelessly with the Coast Guard,Defence Ministry and Navy, to ensure that those stranded at sea were rescued.
- The KSRTC bus service to Tecnopark was suspended for an unusually long period of time, causing great inconvenience to the people working in Technopark. Tharoor took up the issue with the State Transport Minister and the bus service was restored.
Viewers can contribute and also send their achievements of their MP’s and MLA’s to email@example.com. If you have any question regarding Dr. Shashi Tharoor achievements, please do mail us so that we can correct it from our end.