Shocking reason why MNREGA is a farce!
The Government recently announced that it will spend 101000 crores on MNREGA. MNREGA is targeted at the rural poor all over the country.
Let us look at the Top 5 States with the most poor in the country (2011 Census+RBI Poverty Ranking of 2013)
- Uttar Pradesh: 59 million
- Bihar: 35 million
- Madhya Pradesh: 23 million
- Maharashtra: 19 million
- Bengal: 18 million
Now, let us look at Top 5 States with most NREGA workers in 2019-20
- Rajasthan: 8 million
- Bengal: 8 million
- Andhra: 6 million
- TN: 6 million
- UP: 6 million
- UP which has the most poor is ranked 5th on NREGA. About 10% of UP’s poor are covered by NREGA.
- Bihar is not in the Top 5 at all. About 11% of Bihar’s poor are covered by NREGA.
- In case of Rajasthan 74% of its poor are covered by NREGA
- In case of Bengal it is at 44%
In the meanwhile Bihar and UP make up for 21 million migrants across the country (40% of all migrants).
Something is really wrong!