TMC, BJP in Credit Game as Amphan crosses Bengal
Initial reports from Bengal suggest that there has some damage in the coastal areas that faced the brunt of Cyclone Amphan. This was expected given wind speeds exceeding 150 km/ hr in many places. More than 3 lakh people were evacuated.
- So far, there are reports of three dead and this is likely to increase
- Atleast 5000 mud houses were damaged according to initial reports, this number will go up
- So far Digha appears to have faced little damage with uprooted tress and broken branches
- NDRF teams have already started clean up operations in Digha and Howrah District
- In Kolkata, there were power outages and short-circuits in some parts of the City.
It is unlikely that there will be many deaths given that very few people live in Kuccha Homes. Those who are living in Kuccha Homes have already been evacuated. That said, given the precarious financial condition of both the State and the country and elections next year, Politics will soon take central stage in Bengal.
CM Mamata Banerjee spent most of the last 24 hours in the Control room. Given the vicious criticism she received over COVID, any mistakes here would completely wreck her chances next year.
Babul Suprio on the other hand was congratulating NDRF for a splendid job done indicating which way the politics will go once the rain and winds stop.